Issues:WMV Playback Problems
Symptoms: WMV videos are not being displayed correctly with an ATI video card. A common symptom is all colors being completely off, or inverted.
Error Description: ATI's hardware WMV decoding is incorrectly implemented and tends to fail in numerous areas.Solution:
You need to disable WMV decoding.
- Using the Catalyst Control Center:
- Start the Catalyst Control Center.
- Click "View -> Advanced View".
- Go to "Video -> All Settings".
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Uncheck "Windows Media Video Acceleration".
- Click "Apply".
- Close the CCC and reboot your computer.
- If you have an older ATi driver that doesn't use the Catalyst Control Center, you'll find the WMV acceleration setting in the Windows Desktop properties:
- Right-click the desktop and click "Properties".
- Click the "Settings" tab.
- Click the "Advanced" button.
- Here, find a checkbox called "WMV9 acceleration" or something like it. Uncheck it.
- Click OK, and reboot your computer.
- You can also use the small free utility ATI Tray Tools to disable WMV decoding:
- Install ATI Tray Tools
- Right click the ATI Tray Tools icon in the system tray (lower right of start bar)
- Go through Tweaks->Standard Tweaks->System Tab
- Uncheck "WMV Acceleration"
The colors should now be correct.
Background Information: This problem is specific to ATI cards only. If you have an NVidia card, this isn't the solution you need. Nvidia produce a h264 hardware decoding program called PureVision, but as far as we know, there are no problems with it.