Issues:Explorer crashes when loading folders with movie files
Description: When opening folders with movie files in them, windows explorer (the desktop) crashes.
Problem: This is a known issue with Windows XP's braindead video thumbnail thing in Explorer. Being a thing invented by MS, it's buggy and doesn't always know how to handle things not supported by MS, and occasionally fails on things it does know how to support too. Every now and again it will crash and take Explorer down with it. Easy to solve thankfully.
- Windows XP:
- Go to Start -> Run... and type
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
Press enter. Done. It's as simple as that. If you, for some reason want it back, simply do the same thing again, but remove the "/u". That is: Start -> Run...
This will only disable movie thumbnails/previews, not picture thumbnails.
- Windows 2000:
Slightly different, and more complex process.
- 1. Go to C:\WINNT\Web
- 2. Find the hidden/system file called folder.htt
- 3. Make a backup of this file in case you want to change it back (call it folderold.htt or something)
- 4. Open folder.htt with notepad
- 5. Delete the line <span id=MediaPlayerSpan>
- 6. Save your changes and close the file.
This will kill the movie previews, not picture previews. However, the seekbar and frame will still be there