CCCP Project Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video lag during playback of 1080p MKV in MPC-HC  (Read 9611 times)

CapZylo

Video lag during playback of 1080p MKV in MPC-HC
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »

Hello,

I'm trying to play a 1080p MKV file with subtitles using MPC-HC, and the video is laggy and can never catch up to the audio or subtitles.  I'm running Windows XP with 2 GB RAM.

I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of CCCP.  I have played other MKV files in the past (HD and SD) without issue, although I have also encountered this issue in the past but never attempted to get it resolved.

My filters during playback are:

Default DirectSound Device
Video Renderer
Audio Switcher
Overlay Mixer
ffdshow Audio Decoder
DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)
ffdshow Video Decoder
(File path)

The insurgent turned up the following:

(click to show/hide)

Thank you!

namaiki

• Nomenklatura
Re: Video lag during playback of 1080p MKV in MPC-HC
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

You can try tick LAV video on the first page of the CCCP settings program and install xy-vsfilter: xy-vsfilter.googlecode.com

If that doesn't work, you can try an alternative player like this: http://mplayer2.srsfckn.biz/

However, chances are that your CPU is simply too slow.
When asking for help, please do the following:
1. Open the video in MPC-HC and tell me what items are listed in the menu: 'Play-> Filters.'
Download the CCCP Insurgent and:
2. Tools > Media Information > "problem file"
3. Tools > Test Render > "problem file"
4. Tools > CRC Check > "problem file"
5. File > Save Log
6. Open the log you just saved in Notepad and copy the entire contents into your next post.

CapZylo

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »

I was afraid of that.  I will try these three recommendations and see if they help.

Thank you for your assistance.

zakius

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 11:32:53 PM »

actually mplayer@windows is WAY slower than cccp default settings, at least when using only one core cpu to do the job so using it porbably won't improve performance
just like all the vlc, rarplayer or any other "no codecs needed" players, cccp is just fastest solution

Dark Shikari

• DirectShow Mage
  • x264 Developer
    • Diary of an x264 Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »

actually mplayer@windows is WAY slower than cccp default settings, at least when using only one core cpu to do the job
-lavdopts threads=whatevernumberyouwant

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »

actually mplayer@windows is WAY slower than cccp default settings, at least when using only one core cpu to do the job so using it porbably won't improve performance
just like all the vlc, rarplayer or any other "no codecs needed" players, cccp is just fastest solution
Granted that the build is new enough to give a good'ish performance comparison, mplayer(2) should be faster than MPC-HC + most DShow components in decoding and subtitle rendering. Not only does mplayer use libass, which is much faster than VSFilter (and xy-vsfilter) subtitle rendering wise, but you also lose the DShow overhead between filters. I don't think the fact that we're dealing with a single core CPU matters much, in theory an up-to-date mplayer2 build should be the fastest with software decoding.

But with real problematic cases the real fun only begins from there. Usually the biggest problem is rendering. There are many VOs, and some drivers just don't want to play nicely with some, and some drivers don't want to play nicely with pretty much anything. Meanwhile some basic renderer (overlay, Haali, VMR7 etc.) from MPC-HC might handle the job in a better way and thus give a feeling that CCCP's setup is faster than mplayer(2)'s.

actually mplayer@windows is WAY slower than cccp default settings, at least when using only one core cpu to do the job
-lavdopts threads=whatevernumberyouwant
I think he was just trying to imply that mplayer < CCCP's default DShow setup on a single core machine, not that it wouldn't be able to use multiple threads :)

And to the opening poster:
Anyways, in this case the CPU is an old 3GHz Pentium 4, the IGPU an Intel 82945G, and the "problematic 1080p clip" 10bit H.264. You can try of course, but I'll say that I wouldn't be surprised even if 8bit H.264 at that resolution wouldn't work on that CPU. It probably just lacks the computational power to handle it.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.