CCCP Project Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please give us the icons back  (Read 11590 times)

cyberbeing

• DirectShow Mage
Re: Please give us the icons back
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »

Windows caches icons. Delete iconcache.db file to reset the cache and make explorer show the correct ones.

Already tried that back when this issue first happened, but it didn't work for me. I also tried deleting extensions from Folder Options and having MPC-HC restore them from scratch, didn't work. WinXP has been known to be stubborn like that when icon associations somehow get borked. For example there is a semi-common issue on WinXP that causes htm/html/url files to be missing an icon and refuse to re-associate with the icon of any browser which clearing iconcache.db did no good (fault of IE somehow blocking the icon from regenerating/re-associating). I suspect this is something similar, and unless the MPC-HC devs have a breakthrough, there is probably no easy solution short of re-installing Windows (or using the older dll).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:05:40 PM by cyberbeing »

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 04:27:13 AM »

Keep in mind that about each windows release adds a brand new method and place to do file associations, you'd have to look through all of them and clean any leftovers.

m4v
What is that for you exactly, and where did you get them from?

Koby

• CCCP Plankton
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »

m4v
What is that for you exactly, and where did you get them from?
It seems to be a common container these days for stuff ripped from iTunes. It's pretty much like an alternate mp4.
I've seen several people choosing to encode to m4v on my forum.

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »

m4v is basically what Apple calls ISO Media Container files ("MP4 files") with its brand, "M4V ". Brands are basically four-symbol IDs that you register so you can do something not specified in the container specifications themselves without getting too much yelling towards you; the file doesn't have to differ from another "MP4" file in any other way than by having a different brand specified in the file (although the brand registrant can specify some limitations, features or whatever for its brand etc.). You can see a listing of registered brands here.

Thus, it both is and isn't different from MP4, really. Can't find the specs (I can only find the "QuickTime File Format Specification", which I think is the mov specification, on which the ISO Media Container was based), but I doubt the video side is much different -- other than possibly some metadata boxes, which there IIRC are a lot of on the m4a side for iTunes >_>

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 12:06:06 PM »

Either way there is no "M4V" icon, and assigning it an icon that says "MP4" or "MOV" can be confusing then. Not to mention that mp4box has been using that extension for "raw" MPEG-4 SP/ASP video streams.

This is a nice example of how bad idea these extension-icons can be in general though.

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »

Isn't it possible to use one of those mpciconlib found on deviantart?
Like this one http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=mpc-hc#/d4dx8fi
or that one http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=mpc-hc&order=9&offset=24#/d2xga3m
Well, yes -- it is possible and we would love to use some icons from icon libraries found on the internet, as long as the creator licenses them so that they can be used and we come up with the amount of icons we actually need and so on. This was the one I checked last. The two you linked are nice because they have icons that visually tell you if the file is audio or video, at least the two icons on the last row of the second one's preview :) (although I guess they could have more contrast, now it's just two shades of grey) .

If we add per-file type icons, I'm kind of wishing they would have a minimal amount of text on them. The whole idea of icons is to be informative visually, text should really be kept to file names preferably. Too bad the only file format icon that I can come up with straight off the bat would be Matroska... and the QuickTime logo for mov. Another idea would be to have colors or whatever per "common container/video format" (AVI, MPEG-4, Matroska, OGG, MOV, MPEG-TS, DVD, BD or so).

I think I'll also ask the mplayer2 windows-building guys' opinions when I get to it, as well as some people related to MPC-HC. I don't think anyone would object to a thought of a common base for such things as media icons, if possible.

Either way there is no "M4V" icon, and assigning it an icon that says "MP4" or "MOV" can be confusing then. Not to mention that mp4box has been using that extension for "raw" MPEG-4 SP/ASP video streams.
I would say it's closer to mp4, thus if it would get an icon I would probably have it and m4a have an mp4 icon. And yes, just remembered the fact that raw mpeg-4 part 2 streams used to be output as "m4v". LOL

Thankfully not many "normal users" have such raw streams, and it is MPEG-4, thus "MP(EG)4 + Video" not actually being completely incorrect in either case \o/
This is a nice example of how bad idea these extension-icons can be in general though.
And yes, indeed. I kind of wish we had icon decisions based on magic values, but I guess that would be a completely different bag of worms :D

Koby

• CCCP Plankton
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »

I never had a problem with the icons. They always displayed correctly for me.

Anyhow, I've mirrored the 2011-07-30 release here:
http://koby.entitys-arena.co.uk/CCCP-2011-07-30.exe

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 01:25:26 AM »

No real need for mirrors, the iconlib's on the first page for those who want the icons (although you'll have to set associations inside MPC-HC for them to get used + iconlib in the same folder as MPC-HC itself) :)

Actual bugfixes in the newer components such as with the aac decoder and related make it much preferable that you use the iconlib with newer components than roll back a release :)

nemean_cestus

• CCCP Ensign
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »

Actually, YOU do not need different icons. You just need to see the file extension. In Windows 7 there is an option in the Windows Explorer to show the file extension. I would not mind having the same icons for different kind of file as long as I know the extension.

MrZoolook

• CCCP Plankton
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

I'm never THAT happy with any icons that are set after installing a program. I always end up just setting mine manually. I also don't use MPC or CCCP to play audio files though. I use WinAMP for those, and let MPC take control of my video only. In any case, is it THAT hard to manually set your icons?

At worst, you can take a screen grab of an explorer window, crop it so its only the icon you want, save it as a BMP file and rename it to a ".ico" file. Then you can set your desired video to use that in this, and future editions of CCCP. You only need to spend about a minute of time and don't need any other software except whats bundled with Windows. Paintbrush DOES have some use after all!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 19 queries.