CCCP Project Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please give us the icons back  (Read 11852 times)

Lenmaer

• CCCP Colonel
Please give us the icons back
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »

With the CCCP, now there is no way to distinguish video and audio types.
And it's rather annoying not to be able to distinguish what is what.

So please give us those back.

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
Re: Please give us the icons back
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »

Besides that I was expecting that there will be whining, I'm impressed by your claim that you could distinguish video and audio with the previous mess.

On the other hand, if you can get us some nice generic audio and video icons that do look like they have something to do with the player, you're by all means welcome.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 09:20:31 AM by Lord »

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »

And for those who really want the CCCP iconlib, here it is. MPC-HC's own icon/association editing thingy should be able to use it just fine :)

egozi44

• DirectShow Mage
  • ummm... hhii.....
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:54:02 AM »

yea i was wondering when someone will notice it...
when i want to edit stuff it really become annoy to notice what is what too  :P

i think that you should at least consider to add that iconlib back till you will find some other replacement...

MPC feel really dull without it

Koby

• CCCP Plankton
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »

I don't see what the problem was. The icons worked fine for me and easily displayed the file type on them.
Now they just show 321 regardless of file type.

I'm uninstalling and going back to the last release. If future releases continue to take a step in the wrong direction I'll probably have to resort to switching to something else like K-LITE.

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »

I don't see what the problem was.
They were ugly and looked inconsistent between each other, were assigned in a rather weird and misleading way to extensions, half of them lacked the larger sizes which caused various funny issues, and including all the hueg icons would take up a lot too.

JEEB

• Hoser The Third
  • Administrator
  • The Random Encoder
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »

I don't see what the problem was. The icons worked fine for me and easily displayed the file type on them.
Now they just show 321 regardless of file type.
I don't really think they were that easy to read, but I do kind of understand where you come from. I didn't really pay much attention to them, so although they were not exactly pretty or readable, I didn't do anything about them. Then came Lord's scrutiny, and we have what we have now, since he did have a point in his comments. In the end I wasn't really even reading the text on the icons, so I couldn't even really fight against his review (text on icons is a problematic thing to begin with since they're supposed to be "visual" representations or whatever the correct term is).

Anyways, I know and acknowledge that the current result is not optimal, and I can also understand that some people might or might not be way too used to the old way of things, which is I have posted the mpciconlib binary that was originally going to be added to the release a few posts upwards from yours, and if you need it you can get it. You can then extract it into the folder where MPC-HC resides and handle the extensions you need from there, from its options.

I'm uninstalling and going back to the last release. If future releases continue to take a step in the wrong direction I'll probably have to resort to switching to something else like K-LITE.
Yes, ignore the actual positive technical points and results, and completely keep to a relatively minor visual problem that you can relatively easily deal with as I have written :P I'm quite happy (not!) that this seems to be a bigger problem than the fact that I seemingly forgot to commit a fix to a copypasta error in my custom code to MPC-HC. Of course, the bug is in no way lethal, doesn't affect people using the defaults, and doesn't even stop people from using the related features, but you have no idea how long I facepalmed after finding out that even after fixing it once and most probably even making a build or builds with it, it was lost somewhere in between the last stable and this release :P .

gommorah

• DirectShow Mage
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:14 PM »

Dunno if it'd be hard, but think you could make it a Settings option to switch between icon sets? I'm actually rather fond of being able to tell whether or not a file is an mkv or ogm by looking at the icon (I don't use the detail views anymore cause I like big, pretty icons :P). I can understand how it'd be meaningless for smaller icon sizes, but I'm pretty lazy so if I can just get a checkbox or drop down somewhere, that'd be nice :)

cyberbeing

• DirectShow Mage
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »

For myself, every icon set after the 15.7MB mpciconlib.dll from 1.5.2.0 has always been borked (mismatch of icon & file-types, one of many examples, mp4 files end up with an ac3 icon) even after resetting and re-associating them all many times. Fortunately that last working version of mpciconlib for myself is compatible with current builds of MPC-HC 1.5.3.x, even though it's missing a few newer formats.

That said, if CCCP ever starts bundling the mpciconlib.dll again, I'd hope this issue would be fixed first.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:30:03 AM by cyberbeing »

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »

Dunno if it'd be hard, but think you could make it a Settings option to switch between icon sets?
In the settings app, relatively quite hard. In the installer, mostly rather easy. My main problem is about wasting space on including something broken.

I'm actually rather fond of being able to tell whether or not a file is an mkv or ogm by looking at the icon (I don't use the detail views anymore cause I like big, pretty icons :P).
Noted.
Leaving specific icons only for the few most common formats was one of the options considered, so feel free to add your preferred list (either keep it short or in order of priority).

mp4 files end up with an ac3 icon
It certainly wasn't that extreme at least, but there were indeed some broken registrations in CCCP (.aac getting an icon that says "MP4" for example), along with some rather weird choices in the iconlib itself (see .3gp and its friends).

Lenmaer

• CCCP Colonel
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:18:13 AM »

Isn't it possible to use one of those mpciconlib found on deviantart?
Like this one http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=mpc-hc#/d4dx8fi
or that one http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=mpc-hc&order=9&offset=24#/d2xga3m

cyberbeing

• DirectShow Mage
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 04:18:24 AM »

It certainly wasn't that extreme at least, but there were indeed some broken registrations in CCCP (.aac getting an icon that says "MP4" for example), along with some rather weird choices in the iconlib itself (see .3gp and its friends).

For whatever reason on my WinXP SP3 box, the brokenness was rather extreme ever since they stripped down the ~16MB mpciconlib.dll to ~4MB then to ~2MB. Pretty much every single icon ends up wrong with the newer versions of mpciconlib.dll. With the older 16MB mpciconlib.dll 1.5.2.0 all icons seem to associate properly, including an AAC icon for AAC.

Edit:
The one I'm referring to from MPC-HC 1.5.2.3088. The revision after that where they changed the order and all the icons were redrawn broke things for me, but their workaround in the 3089 commit message never worked, so I'm stuck with the older dll. At least it works and has decent looking icons though.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:54:35 AM by cyberbeing »

gommorah

• DirectShow Mage
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 07:36:35 AM »

That's actually it. mkv and ogm are the only file types I can think of that use mpc icon's. Everything else I have seems to default to Windows icons or thumbnail generation.

Koby

• CCCP Plankton
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

Leaving specific icons only for the few most common formats was one of the options considered, so feel free to add your preferred list (either keep it short or in order of priority).
mp4, mkv, ogm, m4v, mov.

wmv and avi thumbnail, so I guess there isn't much point in them.

I know some people suggest simply looking at the info bar, but that only exists in Win Vista, and Win 7, yet like a lot of people I use Win XP on my main PC, although my laptop uses Win 7.

barca

• CCCP Colonel
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »

Windows caches icons. Delete iconcache.db file to reset the cache and make explorer show the correct ones.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 18 queries.