CCCP Project Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Link to updates for the CCCP pack  (Read 13396 times)

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
Link to updates for the CCCP pack
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:49:32 PM »

Why isn't there a link to check for updates in the pack itself. Maybe I overlooked it but believe me since I've installed the pack I looked in my MPC settings and found nada. Afterwards I looked in the main folder of the CCCP pack under Program Files: no link either. I searched in Google and must have hit the first link that brought me straight to a site and I DL'd the latest pack. When I started to install it, it was a French CCCP pack. So I uninstalled it again. Finally I hit another Google link and I guess I was more lucky this time. Waiste of time .. some 30 minutes. This could have been easily avoided with a simple shortcut in the "program files" folder.

Did I miss something or was I just too dumb to find that magic shortcut/bookmark that would have led me straight to the updates site ?

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
Re: Link to updates for the CCCP pack
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »

Why isn't there a link to check for updates in the pack itself.
Is the link to the wiki with the news really insufficient?

I looked in my MPC settings and found nada.
You really shouldn't expect anything like that in the MPC settings...

I searched in Google and must have hit the first link that brought me straight to a site and I DL'd the latest pack. When I started to install it, it was a French CCCP pack.
First result for "cccp" on google is (and has been for a while) this site, and certainly nothing French here I know of.

This could have been easily avoided with a simple shortcut in the "program files" folder.
Let me guess: you made the clever decision to install without a start menu entry, didn't you?

check

• Administrator
  • Part 8
    • MeGUI Wiki
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:40:02 PM »

there is a 'cccp website' link, which takes you to the, erm, frontpage. And on the frontpage is a download link. Does that count? :)

BTW, i'm interested in this 'french cccp pack'. Any chance you can scrounge up the link again?
When asking for help, please do the following:
Download the CCCP Insurgent and:
0. Rclick the video in MPC -> list everying shown under 'Filters'
1. Tools > Test Render > "problem file"
2. Tools > Media Information > "problem file"
3. Tools > CRC Check > "problem file"
4. File > Save Log > Paste the output here.

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »

Is the link to the wiki with the news really insufficient?
A simple update link would do the job without having to go through all the latest news about the project. That takes time, and most of us don't have that or like to use it for other things. I confess I always disable automatic updates in every program and also in Windows. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like a quick update link or button, just for the update and only that.   

You really shouldn't expect anything like that in the MPC settings...
True but a desperate man does strange things. BTW some time ago I too, wondered why there wasn't an update button somewhere. At that time I stopped searching.

First result for "cccp" on google is (and has been for a while) this site, and certainly nothing French here I know of.
Not exactly true, it all depends on which Google site you are. The one from your country or the American one. I don't know how I got there, but I'll have a look at it.

Let me guess: you made the clever decision to install without a start menu entry, didn't you?
Wrong, I always add the start menu entries. However I rarely go there, once a program is installed. And to uninstall a program I certainly don't go there, but instead use an Ashampoo Uninstaller that removes everything and leaves absolutely no trace. But anyway even in the start menu there isn't a simple update button. Instead, true a link t/t website. A button for a quick update is missing.

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »

BTW, i'm interested in this 'french cccp pack'. Any chance you can scrounge up the link again?
I use different browsers, I'll have look.

emptyeighty

• CCCP Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »

1. Use website link.
2. Click download button.
3. ...
4. Profit!

Or use the rss, Luke.
CCCP - Playback the easy way.

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

A simple update link would do the job without having to go through all the latest news about the project.
If you bothered to check, all those latest news are pack updates. Also I don't see just how you would do that simple update link at all.

Not exactly true, it all depends on which Google site you are. The one from your country or the American one.
Is google really that evil?
* Lord always just uses the .com

And to uninstall a program I certainly don't go there, but instead use an Ashampoo Uninstaller that removes everything and leaves absolutely no trace.
Yes, removes everything excepts those that were supposed to be removed, and also messes up a hell a lot of registry entries. Enjoy.
In case that wasn't clear enough: always use the supplied uninstallers to uninstall programs, as only those can possibly know what to do.

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

I think this discussion would go to much off topic, but since some 10 years, I never ever use the standard uninstallers, or perhaps only from time to time, just to check out what's left behind after a normal uninstall. You simply have no idea what crap most program developers leave behind on your computer, after you've uninstalled their stuff the usual way, that is the way they want. I've never had problems. And to tell you the truth, and that's probilly the reason why program developers don't like it: it also cleans up the hidden stuff.

The idea behind it is very simple: 2 snapshots of your system: one b4 you start the installation, and one after you've installed the program and run it just once. A log file is made, and if you use that file when you uninstall the program, everything is reverted back, as if the program was never on your PC. And it never fails, believe me, even with payware for which it's never intended of course. You should try it. Cleans whiter than white.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:04:57 PM by JimB »

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »

The idea behind it is very simple: 2 snapshots of your system: one b4 you start the installation, and one after you've installed the program and run it just once. A log file is made, and if you use that file when you uninstall the program, everything is reverted back, as if the program was never on your PC.
Is it really that not obvious how hard that idea is flawed?

And it never fails, believe me, even with payware for which it's never intended of course.
It fails a lot, believe me. Simply because you don't have only one program on a system but lots, and they have to coexist. Cutting out everything from below the others with a revert is just hilarious.

You should try it. Cleans whiter than white.
I did, I'm not just throwing out empty statements. And exactly that "whiter" part is why it fails so hard.

Scoops

• CCCP Lieutenant
  • Urban Shocker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »

A simple update link would do the job without having to go through all the latest news about the project.
Not exactly true, it all depends on which Google site you are. The one from your country or the American one.
Is google really that evil?
* Lord always just uses the .com

Yeah, different countries can return different results. Of course, I still can't tell you what site he used, since Google.com, .ca (in English and French), .fr, .de, .co.uk, .co.za, .co.nz, .com.au, .com.tr, .com.mx, .com.vn, .com.ua, .com.eg (the page looks weird right to left), .ie, .kr, .cn, .es, .gr, .cz, .il, .dk, .no, .se, .pl, .fi, .lv and .be (in four languages) all return the main CCCP-project page as the first result.

Hell, even Google.ru does.

Wait... Google.jp doesn't. It also doesn't return results for a French pack though. Google.it returns Wikipedia first, then the pack. Google.nl seems to give me a Dutch design company, then the pack.

(bonus point to anyone who gets all those TLDs without looking them up)

check

• Administrator
  • Part 8
    • MeGUI Wiki
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 05:44:10 PM »

You simply have no idea what crap most program developers leave behind on your computer, after you've uninstalled their stuff the usual way, that is the way they want. I've never had problems. And to tell you the truth, and that's probilly the reason why program developers don't like it: it also cleans up the hidden stuff.
You mean like, registry keys right? And sometimes a folder in %programfiles& with an uninstall log? Yeah, that's real dangerous crap there :P
When asking for help, please do the following:
Download the CCCP Insurgent and:
0. Rclick the video in MPC -> list everying shown under 'Filters'
1. Tools > Test Render > "problem file"
2. Tools > Media Information > "problem file"
3. Tools > CRC Check > "problem file"
4. File > Save Log > Paste the output here.

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:48:33 AM »

You're putting words in my mouth I never said. I never mentioned "dangerous" crap. Just useless crap. You and lord must be from the developers camp, that like it when after a program unistall there's enough left of the program on your PC to interfere with other leftovers of other programs and so on. You should know that most program developers aren't interested at all in what's left on a person's computer after he has uninstalled their program. Other developers on the contrary, just want to leave stuff on a person's PC and most of the time without mentioning it to him. Did you know there are many programs that after an uninstall just leave the program's folder with files in it on your PC ? You tell me what's the need of that ? And I'm not even talking about the litterally hundred of registry keys that are left too, scattered all over your registry. I think you guys will never learn or admit.

And LOL one day I might even show you what's left of the CCCP pack, when I would feel the need to uninstall it.

But as mentioned above this is getting too much off topic.

yonizaf

• CCCP Sr. Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »

say that program a needs common control x, and installs it as it's not present. now, say, program b also needs x, but as it's present it is not installed again. you uninstall a, it removes everything including x. when you open b, it tells you error, file not found. see a problem?
even I can understand that, and I'm not "from the developers camp".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:18:38 AM by yonizaf »

Lord

• Ace Insurgent
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 01:04:59 PM »

You and lord must be from the developers camp, that like it when after a program unistall there's enough left of the program on your PC to interfere with other leftovers of other programs and so on.
I doubt random insults will get you anywhere.

Did you know there are many programs that after an uninstall just leave the program's folder with files in it on your PC ? You tell me what's the need of that ?
That is called broken. And still less harmful than relying on random "uninstaller" apps the user believes to be magical.

And LOL one day I might even show you what's left of the CCCP pack, when I would feel the need to uninstall it.
We know most of it, but feel free to report. But don't forget that CCCP is just a pack of selected components not developed by us. The uninstaller should currently remove most files these tend to create, and also the registry keys we know about if the user tells it so.

say that program a needs common control x, and installs it as it's not present. now, say, program b also needs x, but as it's present it is not installed again. you uninstall a, it removes everything including x. when you open b, it tells you error, file not found. see a problem?
That is a somewhat related, but not strictly the same topic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:07:39 PM by Lord »

JimB

• CCCP Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

Absolutely uncorrect sir. If you would have read how I explained to you an Ashampoo Uninstaller (their system must be patented c'se I've never seen another uninstaller working the same way) works you would understand. So again it puts back everything and changes all to the state b4 you installed the program. That is why it is so perfect. And in your theoretic case, just because that common control file (x) was present b4 you started the installation of the program (right ?), it won't be even touched. The program records (through a log file) only the changes made or caused by installing a program. Now even if in the rare case some common file is modified (I'm not sure if that is possible), the original is put back.

And if you don't trust that you should never use a Restore Point on your PC. Oh and restore points just don't put back or restore everything. So they're less perfect.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:38:15 PM by JimB »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 19 queries.